Why are we doing this?
Every child loves, and deserves, a great story. Great stories invite children into our vast world, encouraging new ways to imagine and then leading them down the path to reading and learning. The inspiration behind the VL2 Storybook Apps comes from the belief that there are many ways to tell a great story.
Our way is to provide exciting and captivating stories in both American Sign Language (ASL) and English. Children can watch the story in ASL or start reading it in English. At any point throughout the story in English, children can tap the screen to watch that part of the story in ASL. Children can also touch specific English words to see them fingerspelled as well as being signed in ASL.
Several major research studies on bilingualism and visual learning show that learning two languages leads to greater literacy skills in both languages, and the younger, the better. Young visual learners, deaf and hearing, do benefit tremendously from continued exposure to ASL and written English.
We love stories. And we love sharing great stories—especially now that we have this new form of visual storytelling in ASL and English!
- Original story told in ASL and English
- Easy & accessible navigation designed for children
- Rich interactive narrative with direct English to ASL vocabulary video translation
- 170-word American Sign Language glossary. Parents can learn ASL along with their child
- Vivid Retina supported watercolor illustrations
- App design is based on proven research in bilingualism and visual learning. The ability to view the story in both, ASL and English leads to greater literacy skills in both languages in young children